Glad Tidings is good news. The good news is simple:
“God is real, He will make a real difference in your life, and as a result, you can experience real community.”
Though our congregation is diverse, we are united by a common life-changing experience with Christ. You can experience the difference Christ makes too, regardless of your background or situation.
For All People
Glad Tidings isn’t just good news; it’s good news for all people.
“For saints and seekers. For individuals and families. For those more or less fortunate. For young and old. For red, yellow, black and white. For blue collars, white collars or no collars. For Omaha locals and foreign refugees. At Glad Tidings, the good news is for all people.”
“Glad Tidings exists to lead all people from all backgrounds to real transformation in Christ.”
The Finished Work of Christ
Jesus is at the center of everything we do. The very nature of who we are as Christ followers and what we do comes from what has already been done by Jesus through his death, burial, and resurrection. When Jesus cried out, “It is finished,” He proclaimed that the work necessary for mankind to be saved from the penalty and power of sin was complete. This finished work is called the New Covenant in Christ's blood, and we enter into this New Covenant by faith in Jesus Christ.
Living and leading by the Bible
The Bible is God’s voice speaking to us, so honoring and obeying God’s word at every level is essential to the church. Glad Tidings’ leadership live their personal lives in a manner that is consistent with the teachings of Scripture and believe it is God’s will for all disciples to do the same.
Demonstrating dependence on God
Nothing can be done apart from God. Glad Tidings is dependent on Him and needs His Spirit’s empowerment to accomplish His purposes. Prayer—both personal and corporate — is one way the church can demonstrate its dependence on God.
Inviting all people
Glad Tidings accepts others because Christ accepted us, even when we didn’t deserve it. We strive to be welcoming, friendly, and accepting of others—as Christ is to us. This Value, however, is not an end in and of itself. It leads to the development of a community that is one in Christ.
Growing in Community
Growth is a natural sign of a healthy life. Small Groups are Glad Tidings’ main discipleship process for Growing in Community. Within these groups, the goal is to see the Core Four (Truth, Fellowship, Communion, and Prayer) evident in individuals’ lives. This will naturally happen as discipleship occurs weekly in homes throughout Omaha.
Investing God’s Resources
At Glad Tidings we understand that God owns everything, and God has called us to be good stewards of His resources. Therefore we invest our time, our talents, and our money in things that matter to God. We practice and encourage debt free living and generous giving out of our desire to be wise stewards of God’s resources.
Serving with excellence
All of Glad Tidings is expected to serve each other with excellence, from pastors to lay people, nursery workers to greeters, global partners to missionaries. God deserves our best; Glad Tidings strives for excellence in all it does, as working for God and not for man. Glad Tidings is committed to excellence by creating a culture of constant change.
Impacting the world
Glad Tidings is reaching the world through many avenues. Perhaps the most obvious is through international ministries and missions, where the church physically goes somewhere and serves. Beyond that, this Value includes reaching the world by loving and serving internationals in Omaha.
- We believe the Bible is the inspired and only infallible and authoritative written Word of God.
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal future return to this earth in power and glory to rule a thousand years.
- We believe in the blessed hope – the rapture of the Church at Christ’s coming.
- We believe the only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.
- We believe regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
- We believe in water baptism by immersion.
- We believe the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides healing of the human body in answer to believing prayer.
- We believe the baptism in the Holy Spirit, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who ask for it.
- We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a holy life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting damnation.
Over Seven Decades of Ministry
Glad Tidings Church has been a fixture in Omaha for more than 75 years. Located atop the hill at 75th and Hickory, Glad Tidings Church is centrally located in the Aksarben area, attracting people from all parts of Omaha. More than the convenient location, people are drawn to Glad Tidings because it’s a place where people from any ethnic or economic background can experience the life changing power of God’s good news.
From our small beginnings in 1936 — a tent placed at 31st & Leavenworth — to our present location at 75th & Hickory, Glad Tidings has ministered to thousands of people over the years. The church was officially organized as an Assembly of God in 1937 under Pastor/Evangelist LE King, and our first building was purchased on 18th & Cass Street. We moved into a brand new facility on the corner of 75th & Hickory in late 1969 with Pastor John G Walker, our second pastor.
Leading Us Forward
On May 6, 1975, one of Nebraska’s most damaging tornadoes cut through the church property, severely damaging the church. The church was rebuilt later that same year and was expanded to seat 750 people in the sanctuary. It also included nursery and toddler facilities among many other renovations. Since then we have been served by a number of amazing men of God — Val Munson, Rick Cole, Al Toledo, Dobie Weasel — each bringing growth to the personality and character of Glad Tidings. In 2007, Pastor Walt DeVries became Lead Pastor.